I don’t think the US government will change the name of this day, but I think we can add to the meaning of Independence Day to extend to a healthy philosophy about dating.
It could mean that you are declaring your independence from dating. You’re going to stop hunting, remove yourself from dating sites and services, and hang out by yourself and with your friends for a while. That is fine.
Or it could mean you are proclaiming your freedom from the shackles of dating — the thoughts and behaviors that get in the way of your enjoying the process, and releasing any blocks to your heart that prevent you from attracting a true love into your life.
In “It’s moving day” we discussed how to let go of old hurts so your heart is free to love again. Your dating freedom includes certain rights.
Dating Bill of Rights
- You have the right to date with integrity and expect the same from others.
- You have the right to be treated with respect, both from others and from myself.
- You have the right to decide if you want to continue in a relationship or not. If you decide to discontinue, you will communicate this as gracefully and kindly as possible.
- You have the right to view dating as a way to learn about yourself — who you are now and what you want.
- You have the right to love freely, even with the prospect of being hurt. To live in fear of pain is not to live.
What would you add to these?