The other day Internet Guy and I talked about the process of dating. He said he’s been put off by women who are assertive (aggressive?) about their dating time line. On the first date, he’s been told by more than one woman that she wants to be married within the year and begin a family soon afterward. They have their life plan mapped out and are just missing one thing — a man.
I said they were approaching dating as a project. So we played with the various milestones one would list if you were creating a project plan for your next love. Tongue in cheek, here’s my fleshing out the concept.
Project milestones for finding mate
- Find prospective mates.
- Narrow down the list.
- Make first contact (either initiate or respond). If online dating, via email.
- Talk on the phone.
- Set up first date.
- Have first date.
- Decide if there will be second encounter. If not, go back to #1.
- Go on subsequent dates.
- Have first kiss. (This might be concurrent with #6.)
- Progress with physical affection and emotional bonding.
- Decide to become exclusive.
- Sex. (Hopefully, this comes after #11.) If not satisfying go back to #1.
- Go away for the weekend. (#12 may be concurrent with this.)
- Meet his/her friends. (This may come before or after #12, 13 or 15.)
- Meet his/her family. (This may come before or after #12, 13 or 14.)
- Go on vacation together.
- Move in together.
- Become engaged. (This may come before #17.)
- Marriage. (This may or may not follow #18.)
- Kids (or not). (This may or may not follow #18 and 19.)
- Death or divorce (If his is the former, or if the latter, go back to #1.)
What milestones have I left out?
Got a dating-after-40 topic you want Dating Goddess to address? Send your issue to Goddess@DatingGoddess.com.