Wouldn’t it be great if there were rules for responsible dating, just as there are rules for responsible driving? I realize not everyone abides to responsible driving guidelines, but at least some have been publicized so more people do than if nothing had been created.
So how about we craft some rules for responsible dating? Let me begin, and you can add what I leave out:
Rules for Responsible Dating
- You will only date if you are not in a long-term relationship. No dating if you are married or living together, unless you have the explicit permission of your partner.
- You will only date those with whom you want to explore a long-term relationship, unless you both are explicit about seeking only a casual or intimate encounter.
- You will be honest about your age, marital status, height, income, body shape, health and other facts about you and your life. If someone misinterprets some key information (you are separated and s/he thinks you are divorced), you will correct the misunderstanding immediately.
- If you decide you no longer want to see someone, you tell him/her gently, honestly and as soon as you make the decision.
- You will not make promises you don’t intend to keep (“I’ll call you” or “Yes, I’d like to see you again”). You don’t avoid the person nor not return their calls if you don’t want to see him/her again. You address it maturely and responsibly.
- When someone says they don’t want to see you again, or they would like to just be friends, you graciously accept that they aren’t a match and let go.
- You will never, ever, ever, stand up anyone. If you are unexpectedly detained or decide against the meeting you will call the person’s cell phone and/or the meeting site to inform him/her as soon as you realize you won’t make it. The same goes for being more than 5 minutes late — call. The only viable excuse is if your home/office is aflame, you have been kidnapped, or you or a family member has to be taken to the hospital.
- Before becoming intimate, you initiate a conversation about safe sex, STD tests and protection.
Okay, now it’s your turn. What shall we add to this list?
Technorati Tags: dating Internet, dating online, senior dating, bbw dating, mature dating, dating over 50, dating over 40, online dating advice, dating after 40, dating after 50, over 40 dating, 40+ dating, dating after forty