Recently some DG readers have shared that the man they are dating practices the art of wooing. While we are very happy they found a man who understands romance and courtship, I’m sure I haven’t been the only one who wondered why I hadn’t found many (any?) who practiced this rare art form, without using it as a shortcut to the bedroom.
Then along comes Mr. Romantic. We flirted by email for a month after a pal introduced us by email for a business reason. We enjoyed each other’s sense of humor in periodic emails and calls, even though we both disclosed that we were seeing someone. Our email content deepened and frequency intensified. The people we were seeing disappeared for different reasons, and our focus on each other escalated, even though we live 600 miles apart and know the challenges of a long-distance relationship.
So far, here’s what he’s done that is romantic (to me):
- Sent me chocolates for Valentine’s Day, even though he knew I was seeing someone else at the time.
- Sends sweet emails multiple times a day telling he’s thinking of me and how much he cares about me.
- Drove 600 miles, 12 hours each way, through several snow-covered passes to meet me.
- Sent me flowers and a sweet note 2 days after he returned home.
- Calls at least twice a day to say hello.
- Left me a present at the end of his first visit to my house. While I was in another room, he snuck into my bedroom to leave a Ghiradelli chocolate gift pack on my pillow, just like a fancy hotel.
- Is flying in this weekend so we can spend more time together and go to fun places, including dancing, hiking, a Blues club and a film festival I want to attend.
- Reads my blog daily, even the back postings, to understand me better, and learn what I want, like, and don’t like so he can do his best to make me happy.
- Is kind, affectionate, respectful, thoughtful and funny when we’re together, on the phone and in emails. He is open and flexible and we negotiate so both our needs are met.
- Talks about how he really wants a long-term relationship with me, not a fling, and wants to take some things slowly so I trust that he is telling the truth.
- Says sweet things often. After my immediately thanking him for the flowers, he sent an email that said, “You’re so precious to me I’m so happy that you’ll allow me to do these things for you.”
He’s the best of all the men I’ve gone out with in the caring, sharing, spoiling, fun, intelligent, wooing, courting camp! What a sweet, dear, loving, thoughtful, delightful man.
What have you experienced that you liked in the wooing department that is different than the above?
Technorati Tags: dating Internet, dating online, senior dating, bbw dating, mature dating, dating over 50, dating over 40, online dating advice, dating after 40, dating after 50, over 40 dating,40+ dating, dating after forty